The Fergi Fam

The Fergi Fam

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Seamus 26 months -- Big Ideas!


Kim's Perspective:  In the last few weeks, Seamus continues to to make connections, transfer ideas between one thing to another and verbalize his understanding with the limited vocabulary he has. This is quite fascinating for us to watch unfold as he creates understanding. Here are a few of the ones we had to record:

  • After he burped, he shouted "Burp!!!". A few seconds passed and he said, "Ernie?"

  • He is a big fan of sports and knows when somebody "misses" a basketball shot, swings a bat or tennis racket and doesn't make contact, etc.... "He missed it!" is a common phrase he shouts while watching SportsCenter. The idea of "misses" was transferred when I sang him a song the other day and messed it up and had to start over. "Momma missed it!"

  • I cooked him a toasted cheese sandwich, and burned one side. As he was eating it, he touched the charred side and pointed to the fireplace. "Sandwich, fireplace". Yep, Seamus, mamma cooked the sandwich in the fireplace! Ha!

  • After playing in the sandbox one day we laid down to take a nap and some sand got on the bed. He couldn't focus on resting because he was so concerned, "Uh, oh. Sandbox spilled, bed."
He still refers to himself as "you" sometimes, "I help you" means he wants to help me, and "I carry you" means he wants me to carry him, but he uses "I" for all other things he wants to do. Usually his sentences start with a long, "I", followed by some garble, then the last word is very recognizable. "aaaaaayyyyyyyy glrhaldaifusaifjklasfh;h bat" which means, "I want my bat". For a few months he was doing this and we thought he had a stuttering problem, but Donegal realized he was saying "I" at the beginning of his sentences. What a smart little cookie!

No comments: