I have a short fuse. I will be going a long just fine and if something doesn't go my way or I fall, or somebody takes something away from me or moves me, etc. I explode very abruptly. My back arches and I throw a mini-fit. Teacher Stacey (who has more experience than my mom who thought this was normal for all 11 month olds) says that most likely I will always have a short fuse and get angry quickly. The good thing is that, once I get it out, I calm down just as fast.
I'm also very cautious. Miss Stacey says I could easily walk right now, the physical stuff is under control. I have balance and the strength to pull myself up and move side to side, turn, get down, etc. But, I'm very careful and cautious. It took me two months to get up the courage to get down from a standing position, and now, even though I'm getting very comfortable getting down, I'm very deliberate and calculated. I have to make sure my hand is completely flat against the floor before I let go. Sometimes I will check out the floor and go down and touch it completely while still holding on then go back up, then down again. I have to scope things out for a long time before I am comfortable doing them on my own. When I go in the sensory table at school all my friends dig in and start playing right away, but I prefer to sit there and watch for a while and then I will pick one item up and study it for a while, then will slowly start playing with it. I'm like this with food and drink too, very hesitant to feed myself unless it is an old favorite. Oldies but goodies include: green beans, Cheerios, Puffs, black beans.
I like to be comforted by things, biggest one being my blankie. I have a real blankie (given to me by my mom's dear friend Ana before she passed away), a backup that feels the same as my real blankie, and then a back up of the back up. Last night I had to be soothed by the back up of the back up and it wasn't really working, so my dad gave me the TV remote and I clung to it for dear life and put it up to my ear and fell asleep with it in my crib. When I woke up in the middle of the night screaming (from tooth or tummy pain... who knows) the remote was the only way to soothe me because my real blankies were left at school! I cuddled with that remote and rocked with my mom and fell asleep clenching the remote and holding it tight against my chin.
1 comment:
Uh oh. It will be a long spring break without the blankets!!!
Post a Comment